Thread: Symbol Retriever trouble

skywalker06

Symbol Retriever trouble

hi
    i have trouble using Symbol Retriever everything time it tries to translate after downloading the symbol file it says "error - translate" please help me i need those to translate to .NMS so i can break into softice and yes i have softice active

btw i copied the Symbol Retriever folder from the DS installion i had and uninstalled it and am trying to get Symbol Retriever to work with 4.05 which i have now

thanks in advance
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

download lates windows debugging tools and copy symsrv.dll in sice folder, there are 3 to be overwriten.

Blog Entries
    Presumably you're downloading the symbol files OK, that's a bit of a surprise because Symbol Retriever seems to require an updated symsrv.dll, which you can get from WinDbg.

You could try translating the pdb files manually with nmsym.exe from the command line.

Alternatively you could use Mostek's IDA2Sice and do it in a 2 step process.

skywalker06
    yes i have replace the symsrv.dll file and i can download the symbol file its just symbol retriever having trouble converting them to nms format saying "error - translate"

i also tried using nmsym from the command line and its says "no debug information found"
    Last edited by skywalker06; September 2nd, 2007 at 13:06.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

I get that error for advapi32.dll but as I can load it's exports it doesn't bother me much

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    Use symchk.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx#ERB