Thread: IDA / symbol loading Q..

Znah

IDA / symbol loading Q..

Heya people.

Err, forgive me if this is a lame-o question and/or I've posted it to the wrong board, but I figure ya gotta start somewhere..

Anyway, I'm working on reversing a WDM driver that was obviously built with NTDEBUG *not* set to "retail" ;-), so I have all of the internal symbols on hand, which is cool, but..

Although I can load the symbol table to SoftIce, and have used the SoftIce history to save the symbol names to a text file for bedtime reading, I'd like to know how to load the same symbols with IDA.

Is there a cfg file setting, or an IDC script, or some other way of getting IDA to load the symbols so that I can see the names in the disassembly listing?

Of course, I have no header, nor DBG, nor MAP files.

I realise that typically we'd be using IDA to produce the MAP for SoftIce, but I seem to want to do the inverse (err.. reverse? :-P).

Well, any help appreciated (and apologies if this is somehow covered in Idaprimer or Idaprimer2..).

Regards,

Znah
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Znah
    Err.. nevermind, looks like IDA 4.15 can now handle WDM files (I was still on 4.04 - doh!).

Thanks anyway. :-)

Znah
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.