PDA

View Full Version : reverse engineering academy

StarsIntheSky
February 17th, 2015, 20:24
I'm sure you remember rea, aka reverse engineering academy at reverser-course.de

It was popular and the best experience I've ever had reversing

I've understood it was made by the same people running crackmes.de.

since crackmes.de is still up, I don't think it was the law interferring, there seemed to be renewed as rea 2 becoming commercial ? and then gone forever.

my questions, could someone shed light on what really happpened? the details?

is it not possible to revive as a non commercial project? on volunteer basis?

are there people interested in creating a similar free site? with a roadmap from beginner level crackmes to full fledged reconstruction of application code and all other cool stuff?

Aimless
February 18th, 2015, 11:44
The problem, in the above, is that introduction of new technologies, and modification of existing technologies, was a trickle back in "those days". These days, you have trouble just KEEPING UP with executing new technologies, leave alone reverse engineer it. That COULD be one of the reasons why no one bothers to open an "EDUCATIONAL" site these days -- by the time you finish coding your website and received material for it, it has become outdated.

Hope that helps.

--Have Phun

StarsIntheSky
February 18th, 2015, 13:50
thank you for replying. I wasn't suggesting a one man show. It should have the advanced members and admins add material, and uploading material should be made really easy. there could be a procedure in place for adding material, and we could decide right here on this forum what more to add. Maybe create a working group for that. And there are plenty of crackmes out there to choose from. Its still a whole lot of work though to analyze each for virus. Perhaps a site feature would be a builtin antivirus. (might get false positives though) I believe crackmes.de was down a while as the hosting had found virus in a few crackmes

ZaiRoN
February 18th, 2015, 17:35
As far as I know REA2 is never started really, but I don't know the details...

Challenges are really popular nowadays, and I think something like old REA could be pretty interesting, especially if you create something original (i.e. http://microcorruption.com)

Woodmann
February 19th, 2015, 17:49
Howdy,
I know the creator of the "Academy" moved onto teaching security
using "Damn Vulnerable Linux" which I believe he created.
I assume he is still doing it.

As for picking up the "academy", It takes a lot of committed people to take on such a project.
If there are enough people willing to do it, I will build a place for it.

Woodmann

owl
March 4th, 2015, 14:21
you don't even have to start from scratch, just use the binaryAuditor package and beef it up; like adding x64, mobile (optional), ARM, more anti-reversing techniques, etc. You can also add links to resource material for each folder as people find useful resources for those that get stuck.

BanMe_2
March 28th, 2015, 23:24
For this all to work there needs to be a advancement in some field that can attract the masses. searching and the start of RE in the insecurity ages ignited many a research paper and drew all of us here like moths to the flame. Programming and Tool development opened up new grounds to search through and provided new and easier way to do stuff. I don't know what this new thing could be but maybe its time to start seeking out the ideas that fit our collective interests and start making them. I would dare say that has been happening here.

Greythorne
March 30th, 2015, 07:37
That site [crackmes.de] was great when it started, amazing it is still live. ~~+gthorne~~

g0dmoney
April 10th, 2015, 12:25
I agree that it would be a really tough task putting together relevant reversing challenges, but IMO the challenges would simply need to be just as well thought out as some of the better CTFs that happen (Defcon, Gits, Plaid etc). It would need a start and an ending of sorts, e.g. on an annual basis the previous year's work is archived but still publicly available, official solutions published and new challenges are pushed out to start the process all over. Those involved would have to start working on new material a few months out

I think Zero kind of tried to revamp the REA a few years back, then there was radio silence about it, then crackmes.de went down for some time and he pushed out the binary auditor stuff. Not necessarily in that order.

I think it would be a great thing start, yeah it would be a lot of work but the first few iterations of REA probably were a great deal of work also. The real challenges would be keeping the material interesting and relevant, and also having something for everyone--beginner, intermediate and hard challenges. So much has changed since the first rounds of REA, I know I sucked really bad at that point and didn't progress far but definitely learned a few things. By the time I really could have benefitted from the Academy it was long gone, so now I try to do CTFs when I can.

Something with a longer period of time to work on challenges than a typical 2-3 days like CTFs would be nice to have, and a new version of REA is doable with the right people and resources. Would be perfect to have pitched at something like RECON also, might be able to gain interest from a broad set of reversers in a short period of time.

With all that said, I'd be willing to help out and I probably know a few great reversers that would too

Woodmann
April 12th, 2015, 21:10
Stay tuned. Thia may very well become reality.

Woodmann

Greythorne
April 12th, 2015, 21:32
In my experience (been years yes I know) we allowed weeks for the responses. If the goal is to teach lessons, then more time is a better option. Giving a short response time for answers is more of a competition to be higher ranked on a leaderboard rather than a class. It just depends on the goal.

ZaiRoN
April 13th, 2015, 17:17
Personally I would prefer a challenge with a long deadline. CTF challenges are everywhere nowadays, I think you should create something else...

Woodmann
April 13th, 2015, 20:49
It will be very similar to the strainers of old.
This is not a competition.

Woodmann

Greythorne
April 13th, 2015, 21:48
For us it was all about education, I wish Orc and Frav could see this happen. I believe you are on the right track. Kudos!

Aimless
April 14th, 2015, 10:54
Therefore, the big question is:

+Aimless

OR

Aimless+

*let me go wipe my tears*

Have Phun

g0dmoney
April 14th, 2015, 17:37
Quote:
[Originally Posted by ZaiRoN;97029]Personally I would prefer a challenge with a long deadline.

Agreed, I rarely have time to effectively participate in stuff that only spans 1-2 days

esther
April 14th, 2015, 21:50
[QUOTE][Originally Posted by Aimless;97032]Therefore, the big question is:

+Aimless

OR

Aimless+

no,its Aiml337