PDA

View Full Version : Disable computer

mint77
December 27th, 2012, 16:07
Does anyone know of any consumer computer that requires the motherboard and hard drive be replaced if the bios password has been
forgotten ?

That is the case with a laptop that I have.

People make mistakes or forget things.

Seems like a high price to pay.

What do you think ?

Andy

FrankRizzo
December 27th, 2012, 20:32
Unless you were using some sorta data cryptor that uses the hardware as part of a hash for the HD. But even then, you'd think that you could just reformat the drive, and go on. Honestly Andy, it sounds like bullshit to me. I would open the case and look for either a BIOS clear jumper on the MB, or a coin-cell battery. If you find the battery, remove it, and then try to boot it up. If they say that you have to have new stuff anyway, what can you screw up?

I'd love to know the info on that laptop myself.

mint77
December 27th, 2012, 21:55
Quote:
[Originally Posted by FrankRizzo;93927]Unless you were using some sorta data cryptor that uses the hardware as part of a hash for the HD. But even then, you'd think that you could just reformat the drive, and go on. Honestly Andy, it sounds like bullshit to me. I would open the case and look for either a BIOS clear jumper on the MB, or a coin-cell battery. If you find the battery, remove it, and then try to boot it up. If they say that you have to have new stuff anyway, what can you screw up?

I'd love to know the info on that laptop myself.

It's true. It took me a while to believe it.

Lookup IBM Thinkpad Model R 60 and see what you find if you forget the supervisor or BIOS password.

I could understand if the computer was for the N.S.A. or C.I.A.

blabberer
December 28th, 2012, 05:24
i has been a long time since i read about zeners ohms and pico farads impedence and the smell of wax melting on solder

frizzo it aint no bullshit it seems

http://sodoityourself.com/hacking-ibm-thinkpad-bios-password/

Woodmann
December 28th, 2012, 20:46
Who was the fucking idiot that came up with that idea ??

Did no one at IBM think it would be possible to either forget the pwd
or perhaps someone who hated you and saw your rig sitting there
while you were in the shitter and changed the pwd on you ?

Un-fucking-real.

Woodmann

I cant believe this. I must look.

Aimless
December 28th, 2012, 23:20
Mint77, why did you set a BIOS password in the first place?

Have Phun

blabberer
December 29th, 2012, 01:39
@Aimless
it may even be preset prior to it landing on your hand and maybe removing the cmos battery thereby resetting date time may trigger svp it seems or that is what this guy claims and provides some prebuilt gizmo to zap the svp password

http://www.ja.axxs.net/

Quote:

Since early 2002 this site has been dedicated to ThinkPad™ (TP) owners who find themselves locked out for whatever reason, they may not know the Power On Password (POP) or Supervisor Password (SVP) or Hard Disk Password (HDP) or encounter a BAD CRC1 or CRC2 ERROR on their TP.

TP owners will have subsequently discovered, to their absolute amazement, that the manufacturer of their beloved TP offers no economically viable solution. The manufacturer does not have a policy to help genuine legitimate owners out of this predicament without paying, in some cases more than the TP is worth, to replace for no sane or logical reason their perfect and fully functional System Board!

Quote:

The real problem is IBM/Lenovo and their warped sense of humour.

When you really do have strong security, you challenge people to try and defeat it, you invite peer review to make sure it is in fact secure.

When you have flimsy security and obstinately pretend it is so secure even the manufacturer cant unlock it, well you have to get all secretive and vague about it all praying customers wont find out, in other words an illusion of strong security which is what we have here.

Quote:

If you have a ThinkPad that can boot even though it has a Supervisor Password set

Removing Power On Password [POP] will render it unbootable Until the Supervisor Password is removed AND the correct Date and TIME are set in BIOS setup

Quote:

I didn't know there was a Supervisor Password (SVP) set - did the ThinkPad (TP) set one all by itself ?

Lots of TP users are not aware that their TP has a SVP set. (so whoddoneit)

A TP with a SVP set does NOT prompt for the SVP when switched on and is allowed to boot normally.

This is exactly how I got involved in SVP password recovery.

My TP worked perfectly for many months until one day I needed to change a setting in BIOS setup.

It was only when I pressed F1 to enter BIOS setup that a SVP prompt appeared.

If the CMOS battery goes flat or is disconnected for even a very brief period the Date and Time are reset, next time the TP is switched on it absolutely insists that you go to BIOS setup in order to set the correct Date and time, if there was a SVP set [even though you had no idea a SVP was already set] then it prompts for the SVP.

No, the TP will never set a SVP all by itself, human intervention is always required to set a SVP. <--- gotchya the computer assembler some dude/dudette in taiwan set it for back dooring ?? is that what this sentence means no

mint77
January 23rd, 2013, 20:54
Lenovo is replacing the motherboard at no charge.

Andy