PDA

View Full Version : Newbie stuff. Advice please

Daemon
August 15th, 2012, 19:22
Hi guys

I am very new to this but want to learn as I go.

I am trying to open a piece of software in ollydbg and it wont open, ie it doesnt run. And when it is attathced I cannot remove focus from the ollydbg window and click on the program window to enter the license key etc.

Second issue is that when I attach it and search for all referenced strings, I do not get the string of the error message when you enter an incorrect license key.

I have followed several tutorials but havent seen reference to these problems yet.

Thanks
Daemon

Darkelf
August 17th, 2012, 09:55
Hi and welcome.

Your post is not a very fruitful one.
You didn't mention if you hit F9 after loading (or attaching to) the program - actually you didn't tell anything at all.
All I know so far is that you are trying to use Olly. Be a bit more uhmm talkative.

Regards
Darkelf

Daemon
August 17th, 2012, 17:23
Hi DarkElf

My apologies.
I do try to self help as often as possible and have googled etc before posting.
I did hit F9 after attaching the program and at first it didn't work but I eventually got into it.

So the only thing remaining is that I cannot find the reference I am looking for.
I realise that it is noy as easy as the numerous posts on the net showing the exact same thing where you search for the invalid registration code and change the JE to a JNE and voila you have done it.

Is the fact I cannot find the text I am searching for because I am looking in the wrong part of the software?

The software is not packed. PEID returns only Borland Delphi 6.0 - 7.0 [Overlay]

The software seems to have a few different protections. The window that first comes up asks for a license file and when you enter something in the box it says 'Authenticating' underneath which I think it does over the internet.
There is also 3 levels of password for different advanced versions of the software but I dont think that will be an issue as when creating a license I will just create one for the top level.

I have read plenty of tutorials but none of them seem to apply as I cannot access the same areas of the software to determine the license generation technique used.

Thanks
Daemon