PDA

View Full Version : Private messages

wtbw
June 11th, 2010, 07:11
Hey admins,

Can we have a higher limit than 20 for stored PMs? It's a bit of a pain sometimes and I hear storage space is cheap these days

Darkelf
June 11th, 2010, 08:00
I second that.
It's sometimes hard to decide, which PM to delete if space is running out.
So a higher quota would be nice, indeed.

darkelf

JMI
June 11th, 2010, 11:34
Why don't you just make a copy of your messages and save them on your local machine???

Is that so difficult? I doubt you get 20 PMs in a single day!

Regards,

wtbw
June 11th, 2010, 11:52
But everything's meant to be in the cloud these days! Get with the times JMI!

It would just make things a little easier not to have to rely on a manual/custom storage system, and having to remember to delete messages each time and/or check if it's full or not, etc etc. Seems like it'd save more time globally to change a 20 in a config file

Woodmann
June 11th, 2010, 17:44
Lemme look at it.

Woodmann

JMI
June 11th, 2010, 22:05
As I understand it, being "in the cloud" is for people who are either too illiterate with the technology or do not know how to control it to make use of rather simple and often obvious systems and available alternatives.

And wtbw I "got with the times" in the 50's, the 60's, the 70's, the 80's, the 90's, and the "new Millenium". I already know how to copy and paste into several word processing systems and have been using them since before floppy disks we even invented and before there actually were "personal" and/or "desktop" computers. I am even well versed in the use on "manual" typewriters and, God forbid, carbon paper.

Perhaps we could institue a system where you only have to sit in front of your T.V. equivalent, (laptop; IPhone; Blackberry; NetBook; whatever...) and we send someone over to your residence to personally read all your messages to you, so you don't have to put yourself to any actual expenditure of energy to take care of your own needs and wants.

But, then, that might seem too much like when our moms did everything for us because we really didn't know how to do anything for ourselves.

Just a thought.

Regards,

disavowed
June 12th, 2010, 01:03
I second (third?) the request.

Kayaker
June 12th, 2010, 01:28
Just checked the settings and I think the Don raised the cloud level by 100%...

Of course I could be a shit disturber and mention it used to be 10...
Are people getting chattier?

Quote:
[Originally Posted by Woodmann;30982]
If we set it at 20 I dont want to hear no complaining.
You must understand that we have PM's limited because
of the amount of space they take up when doing a back-up
of the database.

OK, 20 it shall be.
Woodmann

http://www.woodmann.com/forum/showthread.php?5243-Private-Messages&p=30982#post30982

wtbw
June 12th, 2010, 03:29
Quote:
[Originally Posted by JMI;86853]As I understand it, being "in the cloud" is for people who are either too illiterate with the technology or do not know how to control it to make use of rather simple and often obvious systems and available alternatives.

I meant it in terms of everything being stored online instead of locally. Seems to be the fashion these days!

Quote:
[Originally Posted by JMI;86853]
And wtbw I "got with the times" in the 50's, the 60's, the 70's, the 80's, the 90's, and the "new Millenium".

T'was only a joke

Quote:
[Originally Posted by Kayaker;86856]Just checked the settings and I think the Don raised the cloud level by 100%...

Seems so here, thanks guys!

Quote:
[Originally Posted by Kayaker;86856]
Of course I could be a shit disturber and mention it used to be 10...
Are people getting chattier?

I hope we've got new hard drives since 2003

Darkelf
June 12th, 2010, 06:09
I just want to say Thank you for doubling the PM space.
JMI may be right but it's much easier this way
I know right know someone is lurking under a heavy stone, waiting to crawl out and shouting for mooooooore space

JMI
June 12th, 2010, 11:42
wtbw:

My Reply was intended to be humorous also!!!

Regards,

evaluator
June 12th, 2010, 12:32
well, "lemme" clarify:

PM stored online is FACT, "in which we trust".
while on your PC that is modifiable data..

JMI, how's my joke?!

JMI
June 12th, 2010, 18:02
"PM stored online is FACT, "in which we trust".
while on your PC that is modifiable data."

If one assumes that "data stored online" can't be "messed with" by people who have access to that data where it is stored, then it might be "FACT."

But since the data stored on a server can be "messed with" if someone has access and the wish and intent to do so, it's status as FACT is not truely very secure. Even if encrypted, one would assume it could still be deleted if some "evildoer" were so inclined.

I'm not suggesting it would or will happen ... only that it is possible.

Otherwise, it is simply an issue of available storage.

Regards,

Woodmann
June 12th, 2010, 18:11
Well now mister shit disturber.........

According to my recollection of previous private conversations with you mods,
You mods made some changes to the server to better accommodate more data.

Do you recall this?

So since I am The Don, and you did do as I asked, I have made the change.

You did do as I asked, right?

It's good to be the King .

And, AND, I didnt break nothing.

Woodmann

JMI
June 12th, 2010, 18:58
Since YOU are both the King and the Don, and I am not, I can only "assume" that "it is good to be King."

It certainly is correct that changes were made to provide more room on the server, however, I do not recall those conversations involving whether or not the amount of private messages would be increased or not.

While I am sure that alot of the PM traffic is useful conversation between responsible members, I also suspect that there is a fair amount of lame requests for cracks and such from those who have not read our rules and/or don't care about them.

According to the Admin Control panel stastics, there are already a fairly large number of users with more than 20 stored messages, and the largest, with no one else even close, is our very own dELTA.

What it doesn't tell us is how long the messages have been stored, but it does tell us that many people with stored messages have not actually accessed the board in quite some time.

I certainly have no problem with storing messages for as long as we have room. I simply wonder about the usefulness of people storing messages which may well be more than a year old.

But then I still have stacks of magazines which I received more than a year ago.

Regards,

Woodmann
June 12th, 2010, 19:03
Yes I did see the staggering number of PM's that dELTA has.

I think that for the good of the entire community he should
clean up his PM's so as to allow a little extra space for everyone else.

Even I cull the useless PM's.

Woodmann

wbe
June 17th, 2010, 01:15
Quote:
[Originally Posted by JMI;86876]...I simply wonder about the usefulness of people storing messages which may well be more than a year old...

So do I.

I got 3 chain PMs stored dating back to 2002 about my membership being deleted accidentally. I keep them. Just a reminiscence of the past.

Btw, just checked, I've got a quota of 3,000 PMs on another board.

Woodmann
June 17th, 2010, 17:13
I'm more impressed that you still have PM's from 2002 .

Woodmann

BoB
June 17th, 2010, 19:23
A quota of 3000 PM's seems a little extreme
Personally I delete any PM's that have anything incriminating in them after reading, cos you never know who might get access to them in the future!
Better to be paranoid than caught

BoB

wbe
June 17th, 2010, 23:28
Quote:
[Originally Posted by Woodmann;86917]I'm more impressed that you still have PM's from 2002 .

Woodmann

Let's say it's a collectors' type of interest. I recall seeing a 'New Folder' on sale on eBay. Who knows?

I wish I'd had PMs from you. Private e-letters from a Don would be a very rare item

Woodmann
June 21st, 2010, 14:50
Stop that. It will only get you my protection in case of severe flamage

Woodmann

wbe
June 23rd, 2010, 14:22
Don Wooma is a great person. As the honorable title awarded to him (capofamiglia) suggests, he really cares for the members of his family.

Please hold out your hand. I would like to kiss it. Respect.

Woodmann
June 23rd, 2010, 18:43
Ohhhhhh......

I got something else you can kiss .

Enough genuflecting. I am no one special.
Just a guy with a shitty job who has bills to pay
and beer to drink. And it just so happens
I like RCE enough to give what few extra dollars
I make to some server farm and godaddy .

Woodmann

wbe
June 24th, 2010, 02:45
Quote:
[Originally Posted by Woodmann;86967]... I got something else you can kiss ...
Woodmann

So much flattering together with a kissing action. What else could come to mind? I knew you'd respond like that, but yet I didn't hesitate.

OK, one last time and in a more decent way; for me shitty jobs are a distant past now, I have less bills to pay and got more extra dollars to spend. I do love RCE too, and owe much to it. Now, given the situation, who deserves the compliment?

Ok, ok... I stopped, promise.

evaluator
June 24th, 2010, 07:46
yah, Don Wooma, that phrase about "something else" was quite of low level serial-protection scheme..

wbe
June 24th, 2010, 09:05
Quote:
[Originally Posted by evaluator;86982]yah, Don Wooma, that phrase about "something else" was quite of low level serial-protection scheme..

Dear eval,

Yep, it's definitely low level. But I'd rather call that "something else" ring-zero, in a somewhat cynical way.

esther
June 24th, 2010, 11:05
*Last edited by wbe; June 24th, 2010 at 09:27. Reason: spelling

That is so funny

Woodmann
June 25th, 2010, 19:05
BWAHAHAHHAHAHAAAA........

Low level Ring zero indeed!

Don

Esther, where you been?

esther
June 26th, 2010, 20:45
*Esther, where you been?[/QUOTE]

Same ol' place doing same ol' shit lol

Kayaker
June 27th, 2010, 04:26
No, no, no. That's not a juicy enough answer!

wbe
June 27th, 2010, 06:07
Quote:
[Originally Posted by Kayaker;87032]No, no, no. That's not a juicy enough answer!

He's talking about ol' shit. It's supposed to be solid 'n hard.

How'd you expect it to be 'juicy'?

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8366/banme.gif (http://img638.imageshack.us/my.php?image=banme.gif)

Woodmann
June 27th, 2010, 18:21
Where did you get that smilie?

Hi esther, Nice to see you again.

Woodmann

wbe
June 28th, 2010, 00:27
Quote:
[Originally Posted by Woodmann;87037]Where did you get that smilie?

Where did I get that smilie? You're talking to me?

What happened to your reversing skills? It's lying there, inside the code.

Shame on you. Read the FAQ.

JMI
June 28th, 2010, 02:30
Maybe he got it from here:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/misc.php?do=showsmilies

There's some pretty cool one there, but they must also be in many other places.

His is http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8366/banme.gif

Regards,

wbe
June 28th, 2010, 06:26
A little more smilies smiling on that right pane wouldn't be bad, I think. Some extra 20-30 KB. Would they put an extra burden on the dbase?

Aimless
June 28th, 2010, 06:28
Quote:
[Originally Posted by wbe;87055]Where did I get that smilie? You're talking to me?

What happened to your reversing skills? It's lying there, inside the code.

Shame on you. Read the FAQ.

Bwhahahaahahahahaaaa!!!! He's too stunned to reply!!! That was SPOT ON!

Woodmann
June 28th, 2010, 18:48
Hammered by Aimless........2304

I was under the impression..........Fuck it.

Woodmann

esther
June 29th, 2010, 06:10
*Hammered by Aimless........

BANNED HIM!!!! HAHAHAHA!

Woodmann
June 29th, 2010, 19:41
You know I cant do that esther.

He is special.

Woodmann