PDA

View Full Version : Online Degrees

L. Spiro
March 11th, 2010, 21:22
One of my coworkers is trying to get a certificate of some IT type in order to get a raise at work.
I have gotten pretty far without many degrees/certificates, but I was thinking getting a masterís degree or even just some certificates of expertise, just to have them under my belt, would not hurt.
I am chief of technology and senior programmer at my current job and have little time for class rooms, at least in addition to the classes I take for Japanese.
Also, since I live in Japan, it is unlikely I will be able to find any courses offered in English (I am not proficient enough in Japanese to take a high-level technical course), so I am looking online.

I know that some online courses are scams, some are just crappy, some are almost meaningless/non-accredited, etc.
I do not have enough insight into these programs that I can trust myself to distinguish between the good and bad, so I was hoping for some suggestions/recommendations.

Anyone know a decent-to-good online degree program aimed at programming/IT?
Additionally, I am open to suggestions on the best kinds of certifications to get.

Thank you,
L. Spiro

dion
March 12th, 2010, 09:31
brainbench?

reverser
March 12th, 2010, 18:02
MIT offers a lot of their courses online for free: http://ocw.mit.edu/
But they won't give a degree without attending.