PDA

View Full Version : Worth a thousand words

wbe
January 15th, 2010, 14:36
Not sure if this is a duplicate thread.

Liked it.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9417/codersgu6wc0.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/my.php?image=codersgu6wc0.jpg)

Silkut
January 15th, 2010, 15:13
Hehe social engineering to raise empathy is a weapon like our debuggers are...

However it is truely sad when a company must close because they lost too much.
It is just my worthless opinion here but I think everyone should try to have some moral limits. It is very difficult to distinguish if software vendor are trying to rob you or just asking enough money to feed their family: ie. IDA is quite expensive but isn"t it a truely wonderful piece of code, simplifying your everyday tasks ? And what about some little programs (like 50/100$) that you could do yourself ?). The price isn't the only parameters you must take in count, if you try to put some limits on your cracking fury

Interesting subject though ! Piracy is as real as ppl making money on your back !

SiGiNT
January 25th, 2010, 01:51
And then there is software that costs $20-100K and if you're unemployed and need to earn enough to keep your head above water you have no choice - or if a potential employer wants someone with experience in one of the ones you don't know, you need to do whats necessary to do what has to be done for a fighting chance - you certainly can't learn most of these in school and no one is willing to train or tap their foot while you travel the learning curve.

SiGiNT

Aimless
January 25th, 2010, 05:40
Quote:
[Originally Posted by Silkut;84731]Hehe social engineering to raise empathy is a weapon like our debuggers are...

However it is truely sad when a company must close because they lost too much.
It is just my worthless opinion here but I think everyone should try to have some moral limits. It is very difficult to distinguish if software vendor are trying to rob you or just asking enough money to feed their family: ie. IDA is quite expensive but isn"t it a truely wonderful piece of code, simplifying your everyday tasks ? And what about some little programs (like 50/100$) that you could do yourself ?). The price isn't the only parameters you must take in count, if you try to put some limits on your cracking fury

Interesting subject though ! Piracy is as real as ppl making money on your back !

Actually, I don't buy any of this stuff. And I never did buy "cracking for knowledge, but buy if you want to use it" stuff that the most supposedly "good hearted crackers" recommended. Its usually pish-tosh!!

I download. I crack. I use. The only difference? I don't spread.

A nice contrary is therefore, you should NOT support freeware and open source, because you are FORCING the "small companies making a living on your honesty" also to go bankrupt because you are FORCING their source to be open and therefore FREE and that is what open source wants ... and so the debate can continue endlessly

I appreciate the ones who "crack, then buy as a respect to the programmer".

Not me. Sorry, "empathy" is not MY cup of tea.

Have Phun

Silkut
January 25th, 2010, 12:40
Quote:
[Originally Posted by Aimless;84923]

I download. I crack. I use. The only difference? I don't spread.

Agreed, but how much crackers are doing so ? Less than the ones releasing for pride and profit I'm afraid...

Quote:
[Originally Posted by Aimless;84923]
A nice contrary is therefore, you should NOT support freeware and open source, because you are FORCING the "small companies making a living on your honesty" also to go bankrupt because you are FORCING their source to be open and therefore FREE and that is what open source wants ... and so the debate can continue endlessly

Lately open source has been very trendy (like green IT...total bullshit but still). I don't think somebody is pushing companies to go open source to survive..plus it is a big lie that open source software is free ($) at every state (development|maintaining|usage).

As I said, empathy is a social engineering tool... I'm just saying that everyone should have some moral limits, not what those limits are neither what to spread and what to support...

Woodmann
January 25th, 2010, 19:45
I started doing this "cracking" thing for only one reason:

I wanted to try a full version to make sure it will do what I want.
I dont want a crippleware version, that is useless to me.

I could start a list of all the things I paid for that turned out to be useless/not as advertised/needed a lot of lovin to get working correctly.

All these years later I have come to embrace open source. It might not do what I want but its a hell of a lot easier to get it to do what I need.
I dont have to bother with dirty warez anymore.

As a matter of fact, the only thing stolen on this box is .
(Like I'm even gonna say).
I got another one right next to me running a linux flavor that was free and has all the same things this one has.

I'm the laziest person on the planet and if I can deal with a nix desktop then anyone can.

Do I feel bad about the USB overdrive x thing ? Not really.
The world of software is survival of the fittest.

They wont be the first and they wont be the last.

The only thing I can say is buy it if it works for you.
I dont have a problem saying that because I live it.

The other thing is get another box and start playing in the linux world.
You people should already be doing this.

Woodmann

wbe
January 27th, 2010, 06:12
My intention here was not to raise a debate about the moral aspects of RCE. Well, it’s always one conducive to another, no wonder when you’re on a board.

What I liked in the picture is the uncommon way the author has chosen to express himself and his clever maneuver of forcing you to admit, with the push of a button, that you’ve done something shameful.

I started doing this RCE thing a long time ago just to keep my brain cells, which then were on the verge of dying, occupied with something other than political and religious causes which, as once pointed out by the three letter admin, cannot be resolved without bloodshed yet. Being an old fart today, I can proudly say that my labor had paid off well.

I agree with Don Wooma. I pay for many things that turn out to be useless/suffer premature death/fail to perform well. So, SW is not an exception. I never needed a piece of SW that is as complicated and expensive as a space shuttle. If a paid SW fails, I wouldn’t go dead broke. A couple of trial sessions often give me an idea about its overall character and design specifics.

Recently, I needed a PDF to Word converter. I’ve tried many, almost all available on inet. All but one failed. The finalist was designed just for the purpose: to make the output “editable”. Both formats are perfectly portable and readable already. If I can’t edit the text why would I bother to convert it? It was not crippled. I’ve tried it extensively before paying and happily paid for it. Again,

Quote:
[Originally Posted by Woodmann;84940]
The world of software is survival of the fittest.

I buy this.

To personalize, I always tend to pay for something that satisfies me. If I were able to download my car from the inet would I “crank” it to drive without the keys, registration plate and documents? No. So, is it only the fear that keeps one off using things that are unpaid for?

Woodmann
January 27th, 2010, 19:17
Howdy,

Now I have a better understanding of what you meant.
I suppose I would have a giggle before pushing the button
to admit my guilt .

And YOU didnt raise a debate, you gave us pause to think
about what it meant to each person.

Conversion softwares . What a bunch of convoluted crap.
If someone made one that actually did everything it claimed
I think they could make a fair profit.

Woodmann

wbe
January 28th, 2010, 05:26
Speaking of fair profit, this is what I stumbled upon today: "The Great 99 Cent Software Experiment of 2010"

From the author:
Quote:
The traditional software industry, like many, has been hit hard by slumping economic times. At least that’s what appears to be happening. I can’t help but notice traditional software distribution is in a state of flux not unlike the media and publishing industries.

http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2010/01/great-99-cent-software-experiment-of.html

99 a license. Oh, what an experiment.

Woodmann
January 28th, 2010, 20:58
I like it.

Bill will be getting my .99 cents tomorrow .

Woodmann