PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things part4.

Woodmann
March 8th, 2009, 20:19
Howdy,

Today I was preparing my dinner which involved potatoe's.
For some unknown reason I decided to read the back of the bag and it included ingredients.

The front of the bag says red bliss potatoe's.
I recognized from the name on the front I was purchasing potatoe's.

The ingredients read: potatoe's.

For what reason would they need to list the ingredients when it is obvious what is inside the bag?

Woodmann

JMI
March 8th, 2009, 22:00
Most likely because of Federal and/or State consumable labeling requirements.

Regards,

Kayaker
March 8th, 2009, 23:56
I have a jar of Kraft Peanut Butter in my fridge.

I was glad to see it did NOT contain the warning "May contain traces of peanuts".

JMI
March 9th, 2009, 00:52
Now that warning is an absolute necessity for "other" foods. Those with severe allergy to peanut oil can go into anaphylactic shock simply from the use of utensils which had traces of peanut oil on them. It can be a significant problem in eating restaurant food. Those with the sever form of the allergy have to carry an injection of epinephrine to prevent sudden fatal consequences when they start to go into shock.

Regards,

squidge
March 9th, 2009, 03:08
More to the point, should it not be potatoes rather than potatoe's?

CluelessNoob
March 9th, 2009, 09:55
Quote:
[Originally Posted by Woodmann;79609]
The ingredients read: potatoe's.

For what reason would they need to list the ingredients when it is obvious what is inside the bag?

So you would know it was pure starchy goodness without any additional fillers or flavorings.

Woodmann
March 9th, 2009, 17:11
Yes squidge, you are correct.

Thanks a ton Dr. JMI (duh)

Someone brought home a cheap can of peanuts that had the ingredients listed as peanuts, roasted.

Shouldn't my bag of potatoes had said potatoes, raw.

As opposed to potatoes, baked or potatoes, boiled ?

Woodmann

JMI
March 9th, 2009, 18:44
Again, I would suspect that the "Truth in Labelling" requirements would probably require a listing of "roasted" in the ingredients section, if they wanted to put "Roasted Peanuts" on the front label.

Regards,

Woodmann
March 10th, 2009, 20:20
So shouldn't my bag of 'taters say "potatoes, raw"?
Or do I assume that the 'taters are raw because the front of the package does not indicate otherwise?

Woodmann

wbe
March 11th, 2009, 15:17
And, why the cuisine or the nationality of potatoes change when fried? It's called "French fries", isn't it?

Shouldn't it merely change to fried from raw? Why this sudden change of nationality? And, if it's the change of physical state of the potatoes, why not the same apply to the baked one, for example?

JMI
March 11th, 2009, 20:17
The "French" in "French Fries" refers to the "form" into which the potato is cut, not the "nationality." Although the style of the cut may be named after a method of cutting potatoes and frying them in oil which was originally from France, it is not intended to be a reference to the "country of origin" of the product, itself, merely the way they are prepared.

In much the same way, "Swiss Cheese" is a particular style of "Cheese" (a certain processing method which results in the holes), but it may actually be processed in many different countries. In the USA, a food product usually displays the country of origin or manufacture, in addition to a listing of the ingredients.

Regards,

Woodmann
March 13th, 2009, 22:07
Holy 'O fuck.......

If anyone needs cheap legal advise I know who to ask .

This gives me an idea for a future Stupid Questions .

Woodmann

dELTA
March 17th, 2009, 09:47
Hey, that's "Freedom fries", mister!

JMI
March 17th, 2009, 12:29
Nah. We "sort of" like the French again, so we gave the name back to the "potato sticks."

Regards,

personmans
March 17th, 2009, 15:56
Wow, this was amazing to read.

I always liked the labels that say "Caution! Contents hot after microwaving."

evaluator
March 17th, 2009, 16:57
Contents with container (bag) or without??
clarification required..

Woodmann
March 17th, 2009, 18:40
Well..........

While the contents are in the bag they are correct.
After the bag is empty I use a sharpie and cross of the word potatoes on the front and back so as to avoid confusion when I pick it up and there is nothing in it.

Then again, over here most 'taters come in a clear bag so you can see what and how much is in it.

You asked

DW

Kayaker
March 17th, 2009, 19:22
So how come potatoe's in bag's come marked "Ingredients: potatoes", but loose potatoes don't? If we're not stupid enough to mistake what a tater looks like, how come we're too stupid to recognize a bunch of them in a clear bag?

What about celery? Sometimes they come in clear bags, sometimes they're bagless. Are bagged celery marked "Ingredients: celery you bonehead"?

etc..

evaluator
March 18th, 2009, 07:01
my question is related to Personmans info:
>>.... "Caution! Contents hot after microwaving."

so clarification required..
Contents with container (bag) or without?? (is hot)

haha! i guess!!
Content is hot, but bag WAS.

wbe
March 18th, 2009, 17:18
Speaking of microwaves, why do all the ovens have a metal mesh on the door? Help keeping the particles coming out from the magnetron bounce back? If so, how can the designers be so sure about the exact wavelength of each and every particle being produced? Couldn't there be any non-conforming particles out of the zillions produced that would leak from the grid? Even the mother nature may fail sometimes.

Am I in danger? Should I switch to gas?

Kayaker
March 18th, 2009, 18:27
Speaking of potatoes, did you know you can measure the speed of light with your microwave?

I saw that on the Discovery Channel several months ago. They used chocolate chips, but you can also use marshmallows or a chocolate bar:

http://orbitingfrog.com/blog/2008/05/13/measure-the-speed-of-light-using-your-microwave/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O2Keu6o3i0

Can't do that with gas...

Woodmann
March 18th, 2009, 20:14
Ummmmmmm.......

How does that measure the speed of light ?

All I see is that it confirms the wave form and frequency.

Woodmann

Never mind, It occurred to me at the speed of light.

wbe
March 22nd, 2009, 17:28
Discovery is my favorite channel.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4040/discoverytd8.jpg (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=discoverytd8.jpg)

Dog: I saw you cats on Discovery last night. You're not that big actually.
Cat: God damn channel.