PDA

View Full Version : Another hacking contest fo0r money... (Not sure if I nshould post this...)

gs
November 6th, 2000, 09:11
Starting today (11/06/00). Security will be relaxed a bit every day until friday (i.e. today you only have IP, tomorrow they're gonna publish another detail ...)

http://www.argus-systems.com/events/hacker/

tsehp
November 6th, 2000, 12:14
Sure, you shouldn't.
Why ? Not for off topic reasons, but the guys that organize the contest
are making big savings while treating the hackers like childs :
Come on, try to come in if you can. And then they will learn of all the
attempts, and maybe without giving anything back. They could also use
the ip logs to put them into a database. That's why it's not very interesting.
regards,

tsehp

gs
November 6th, 2000, 17:39
I understand your arguments and in general I deem them valid. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think different in this case:

a) I am pretty sure they're not up to fill databases with IPs, because they presented that contest on an IT fair today and lots of visitors are going to try.
b) It is a relatively small company - I am pretty sure that they are not really willing to afford the 100.000 deutschmarks.
c) IMO they can't be interested in anyone breaking into their system because that would counter their marketing strategy. They modified a Sun 5.7 (if I remember correct) in order to make it 'uncrackable', even when hooked to the net and without the necessity to use a firewall.

What fascinated me was the fact that now a company doesn't blow the horn of hysteria. Instead of telling some 'inexperienced' managers how dangerous the internet is and how good their firewall/intrusion detection/gateway-software/you-name-it would protect them, they 'simply' take a system that's widely spread already and try to secure it.

But still...they may use the experience they gain to further improve the system. And they won't pay back, no way !

Regards,
gregor samsa

nu
November 7th, 2000, 11:02
morality aside, i truly prefer this over fraudulent advertising of incompetent and/or bastard developers who concentrate their efforts on investigating what the customer is likely to trust as 'worth' the money and not on trying to shape their product's quality based on his/her real needs. they can put out a darn neat product description, make you almost fear how excellent the program is gonna be, but the underlying crap remains.

does lockdown2000 ring a bell?

ay carramba,
nu