PDA

View Full Version : The Rocky 6 Smart Dongle

NoLoader
October 19th, 2007, 03:00
Hi All,

Another high level question (I'm not looking for tutorials): The Rocky 6 Smart Dongle claims to be "Smartest Uncrackable Protection" (http://www.rockey.com.my/prod_dongle.php). Has anyone broken it yet?

Jeff
Jeffrey Walton

JMI
October 19th, 2007, 04:44
Oops. It's time for lecture No. 4!

This is certainly NOT a "high level question", but a particularily lazy and not very well considered one.

Why don't YOU do some "research" on the net and determine if "anyone" claims to have broken the Rocky 6 Smart Dongle?? Or are your fingers just too tired to type in the necessary keystrokes in google or some other search engine?

And if the answer is a simple "yes" or a simple "no," how does that help YOU?

And let's assume, for the sake of argument, which is one of my favorite things to do, IF "someone" knows "someone" has broken the Rocky 6 Smart Dongle, why on earth should they want to tell YOU about it? And again, if someone did want to "brag," again "how does that help YOU?'

And IF someone did claim to have broken the Rocky 6 Smart Dongle, how would YOU know whether or not THEY were telling the truth? What good would the information actually be to simply know an unnamed "someone" had accomplished the task or even that someone claimed either that they had or that it was "impossible???"

Let's further assume that someone who actually posts here has or claims to have broken it.... again how does such a statement help YOU? Are you loosing sleep at night simply pondering the answer to this question because it may determine the fate of mankind as we know it??

Or is your "real" question that you REALLY want someone to hint "something" about how YOU might attempt to do so? Otherwise your question seems to have no "raison d'Ítre," if you'll pardon my French!

Regards,

NoLoader
October 19th, 2007, 04:56
Hi JMI,

If it offends you that much, as a Moderator you should delete it.

> This is certainly NOT a "high level question"...
You are right - bad choice of words in haste.

> Why don't YOU do some "research" on the net and determine if "anyone"
> claims to have broken the Rocky 6 Smart Dongle??
Already done. Here's the search page from cache: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Rocky+6+Smart%22+Dongle+crack. Google's response: "Your search - "Rocky 6 Smart" Dongle crack - did not match any documents."

> And let's assume, for the sake of argument, which is one of my favorite
> things to do, IF "someone" knows "someone" has broken the Rocky 6 Smart
> Dongle, why on earth should they want to tell YOU about it?
They may or may not. I presume it depends on the individual.

> And IF someone did claim to have broken the Rocky 6 Smart Dongle, how
> would YOU know whether or not THEY were telling the truth?
Good point. I suppose if someone is willing to steal, they would be capable of lying also. But I would not want to call a thief a liar (they might get offended).

> again how does such a statement help YOU?
I suppose the best reponse is simply personal satisfaction. I like to see "Unbreakable" things broken.

> Or is your "real" question that you REALLY want someone to
> hint "something" to about how YOU might attempt to do so?
Nope. Just curiosity...

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeffrey Walton

JMI
October 19th, 2007, 05:27
I realize it's early in the morning back there, but not even a good effort!

I do not take "offense" when someone fails to follow the Rules here, I simply attempt to remind them we do have them. You've clearly been here long enough to have noticed the BIG RED LETTERS and I always find it "interesting" when I remind someone they should do their own research, when they suddenly remember that they did some, and just "somehow" failed to mention this "alleged" fact in their original post. Also, I was watching you idleing on the post for some time before completing your Reply, leading to the "reasonable conclusion" that was actually the point in time you did your "research."

Again, you establish no "raison d'Ítre" for your question because you still have no "rational" basis to determine whether any answer you may receive is valid or not, unless the one who makes the claim provides sufficient "proof."

Again, your statement that you:

"suppose if someone is willing to steal, they would be capable of lying also. But I would not want to call a thief a liar (they might get offended)"

is, again, either evidence of disingenuousness or incredible naiveite.

First, one neither has to be a "thief" or a "liar" in order to reverse engineer a protection. One could always actually purchase the system to attempt to determine how it works and reverse it's protection. This might bring them in conflict with the manufacture's terms and conditions of use agreement, but they aren't a "thief" simply for figuring out how a protection system works.

And if you are willing to brand someone a "thief" if they might reverse their own purchase, why are you only concerned they might "get offended' if you also call them a "liar"?

So let's put your mind at rest from your insatiable curiosity. Nothing made by man is "unbreakable," given enough time, energy, talent, and resources. Nothing at all. As a last desperate effort, one could always become the thief you've named them to be and actually break into the facility where they make the damn thing and "literally" steal their tools and code!

But, even if they did that, YOU would still have no way of evaluating the "truth" of any claims they may make about their efforts, without some independent "proof." Thus, your "curiosity" remains more than a little "idle."

Regards,

CrackZ
October 21st, 2007, 11:03
As far as I am aware there are no claims that the Rockey 6 dongle has been broken; since the protection itself isn't as wide-spread as the 2 main protagonists in this game I doubt it will attract as much determined attention and therefore research, however both Rockey 4 & 5 were broken which ought to provide at least some substance to the claim of "Uncrackable Protection".

As an aside, it sometimes helps when asking very general questions on the RCE MessageBoard to qualify exactly what it is you are searching for since your initial post could just be answered with a 1 word response (neither of which would really have helped you in any meaningful way); unless of course you happen to lie in bed awake at night pondering if "Rockey 6 has been cracked" ;-).

Regards

CrackZ.